With summer time here, so too is vacation time for many of us. I don’t know about you, but while I’m on vacation I love to EAT!
This is my favorite time to indulge, and as a result, I always come back a good five pounds heavier. So my husband and I implemented a new routine to our trips, and that’s a pre-vacation diet!
A week before we head out of town, we detox and strictly monitor our intake. After just a week, we’re five pounds lighter. Then while on vacation we are truly eating guilt-free, looking a little sharper in our bathing suits, and coming home at a break even weight!
Our Pre-Vacation Diet
Here are some simple tips to follow to help you lose the weight before your holiday.
1. Each morning we start out with a glass of warm lemon water. Squeeze half a lemon into 8oz of luke warm water and drink as soon as your feet hit the floor. This will help detox your kidneys, allowing them to work properly. When your kidneys are working right, it takes pressure off of your liver.
2. Do NOT eat any sugar! If you need to add a little sweetness, you may have Truvia or Agave Nectar added to your coffee or tea.
3. No sodas, alcohol or other fancy beverages. Stick to your water, coffee and tea. Have a glass of green tea before each meal to help boost your metabolism. Make sure you are drinking half your weight in water everyday.
3. No Carbs. That’s right. Sorry. But just for seven days say goodbye to all carbs. This includes healthy carbs like oatmeal and beans.
4. Have two low-sugar servings of fruit before mid-afternoon. Fruit is a hidden source of sugar, and since we’re trying to detox, avoid sugar.
5. Eat plenty of vegetables, especially those lower in carbs. Not all veggies are created equal. Avoid super starchy produce, like potatoes and corn.
6. Enjoy only lean meats. Protein is going to be your main source of energy since you’re cutting out carbs, so eat lean meats happily. Red meat is a no-no right now (since we’re detoxing you don’t want to be adding any hormones to your body!)
7. Let probiotics work for you. Like Miso soup, kimchi, or a greek-style yogurt. For your yogurt though, you’ll probably want it plain flavored. Once you add in flavors, you add in sugar. I LOVE Krogers CarbMaster yogurt. It is high in protein, but super low in carbs and sugar.
8. Eat dinner early. We personally find that our bodies are happiest when we’ve had 12 hours between dinner and our morning lemon water. If you get hungry in the late evening, drink water to fill you up.
9. Don’t forget to take your multi-vitamin! If you don’t like taking pills, eat a chewable version.
Food list ideas for a pre-vacation diet!
- All dark leafy greens
- Bell Peppers
- All Berries
- Red Grapes
- Small fish
- Chicken breasts
- Turkey breasts
- Ground turkey
- Egg Whites