(Name the song and artist that the title quote is from and get $5 off any purchase at 877MyJuicer.com.)
So most people would call it a smoothie nowadays but to me it is, always has been and always will be my power shake. And I start my day with it religiously. I’ll get into the ingredients in a bit but an explanation of my intentions first.
Being that for the last two weeks I’ve written some basic articles on juicing, I wanted to write one on the differences and benefits of blending specifically. The problem is many of the same principles hold—blending is essentially another great way to get all the nutritious goodness from fruits and vegetables… So how do I write this article without sounding redundant? The best way as I see it is to lay out my breakfast; the Power Shake.
To juice or to blend? Well, I’m not promoting one over the other. There are several unique benefits to juicing. For example, you can’t (or at least I wouldn’t) blend wheatgrass. In the same way there are many things about blending that just can’t be substituted with a juicer. For one, you can’t get phytochemicals by juicing because they live primarily in the rind or pulp of the produce. You also can’t juice yummy grains or nuts but in a blender you can liquefy the stuff right into whatever concoction you come up with. Not to mention with a good blender, in addition to shakes (smoothies) you can make soups, hummus, peanut butter and many other things. So here’s the recipe for my power shake—just one example of something delicious and nutritious that is only possible with a blender.
The Power Shake
- 1 Organic Banana
- A couple cups give or take of frozen organic blueberries/Strawberries/cherries/any berries you like (mix and match)
- A hand full of soaked raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- A tablespoon of organic peanut butter
- A tablespoon of Flax Seed oil (keep in the freezer)
- 1 serving of a live food liquid vitamin
- 1 serving of a super green food powder
- 1/2 serving of vanilla whey protein
- 1/2 serving of a complex brain protein powder which includes amino acids, GABA, Glutamine, and much more.
- A tablespoon of Psyllium husk fiber (mmm regularity ;o)…
- Organic apple juice mixed with any other you like (I do mango and coconut often). Use enough to liquefy.
With a start like this the day can only go well.