However, after receiving my automatic billing statement from the yoga studio where I practice and realizing that I am completely wasting my hard earned money, I am back on the wagon!
The by-product of my rejuvenation for exercise has been soreness. It’s been weeks since I last exercised, so it should have come as no surprise to me that my body would be in revolt, but it did.
Another by-product of this newfound exercise regime is a rejuvenated love for post-workout smoothies. I’ve long been a fan of smoothies, and I’m especially grateful for smoothies designed to help my exercise-weary body recover.
Make your post-workout smoothie count!
So what does an exercise recovery smoothie consist of? No recovery smoothie is complete without:
- Protein - I use only vegan protein powders, but it’s a matter of personal choice for you. If you aren’t going to use a vegan version, be sure to look for grass fed on the label – doing this will ensure that the product is of natural sources.
- Coconut Water - I don’t know about you, but I sweat A LOT…so I have to remind myself to re-hydrate. Coconut water is known for its hydrating benefits, so every post workout smoothie I make has got to have coconut water.
- Frozen Berries - I’m an self-proclaimed berry addict, and I love them all – blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries, either alone or paired with one another. With that being said, any frozen fruit or vegetable can be substituted.
- Tart Cherry Concentrate - Juice from Montmorency cherries (tart cherries) are known to help the body battle inflammation, making the concentrate a lifesaver for those sore from exercise related inflammation.
- Greek Yogurt - Because I don’t use milk, the Greek yogurt makes up for the creamy-mouth feel that would otherwise be lost. Oh, and opt for plain – the flavored varieties have a lot of extra sugar that simply won’t be needed because of the cherry juice concentrate.
With this post-workout smoothie guide, you simply can’t go wrong when custom-creating a smoothie tailor made for your exercise recovery!