Rippling muscles are great and all, but let’s not forget about what’s holding your body together underneath all those abs—your skeleton. If you have a broken toe or a fractured wrist, or if you’re just feeling a little weak and wobbly, whip up this incredible, bone-strengthening “milk” invented by superhuman vegan, nutritionist, personal trainer, and health maven Gabrielle Brick.
- 1/4 cup Goji berries
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 8 cups nettle, horsetail, and oatstraw tea
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Agave to taste
- Make the nettle-horsetail-oatstraw tea (don’t worry, we’ll explain all about these herbs later). Keep in mind that the herbs are full of minerals that can be lost in steam, so immerse them in a pot of cool water and bring the mixture to a very slow simmer, keeping the pot covered in order to keep the steam inside. Once the tea is simmering, turn off the water and let the mixture seep and cool.
- Strain out the herbs.
- Blend the tea, the goji berries, and the sesame seeds together until the mixture is milky-looking and smooth.
- Strain again.
- Blend in the vanilla extract and the agave. Taste and add more agave or vanilla as needed.
- Store in the fridge. Drink within the next few days.
- Bonus: drink your elixir with a side of MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) in pill or powder form (if powder, mix it right in to the “milk”). MSM is anti-inflammatory and beneficial for joints.
Nettle, horsetail, and oatstraw are all herbs high in silica (search for them online—you can snag huge bags of these herbs pretty cheaply). Silica adds compounds to strengthen hair, nails, and skin, and it also encourages calcium absorption to keep our bones dense and strong. The herbs are also good sources of trace minerals.
Sesame seeds—though you might not guess this based on their humble top-of-the-bagel status—are absolutely packed with minerals. Copper, manganese, zinc, calcium, and iron, oh my!
Goji berries, a now-legendary superfood, are also high in silica, antioxidants, and trace minerals that help to build up your bones like zinc, copper, calcium, selenium, phosphorus, and iron.
Have a cup or so of this “milk” every day! Your bones will love you even more than they already do.
Photo attribute: blyssfulhealth.blogspot.com